Springerle cookies are just about the prettiest cookies you can have at a wedding with their delicate look and ability to fit any theme. They look great on a table, sweet in treat bags, and can be made organically. My favorite Springerle cookies as of late, are the simple, but oh so delightful Springerle cookies I found at Country Living.
These are pretty simple in design so far as Springerle cookies go but I think that’s part of their charm. I can’t get over how sweet the coloring is. To make these cookies, basic floured rubber stamps were used and then they were colored delicately with luster dust. I love that they look like tiny watercolor paintings. You could easily use this recipe to fit the theme of a nature wedding, sticking to flower and leaf stamps or use your initials. Note, you’ll want to switch out the conventional ingredients for organic.
Springerle have been a traditional Christmas cookie in Bavaria and Austria for centuries. The cookies are made with a simple egg-flour-sugar dough and have designs stamped on with a special rolling pin, mold, or press. Designs can be enhanced after baking with edible food colors. Springerle cookies are typically flavored with anise, but you can also branch out to other flavors (not everyone is a fan of anise). Lemon, raspberry, or almond are all nice flavors for a wedding.
You can buy organic lavender heart token or rose flavored Springerle cookies (shown above – too pretty!) at The Occasional Cake or browse the resources below for more DIY info and other places to find these pretty cookies.
Springerle cookie resources:
- To learn more about the history of Springerle cookies visit What’s Cooking America.
- How to make non-sticky Springerle cookies in the summer.
- House on the Hill has a wide array of Springerle cookie molds, including an entire wedding section.
- Queen City Cookies has some amazingly gorgeous gourmet Springerle cookies available for weddings and use organics when possible.
- Lemon Springerle recipe
- Vignette Springerle Mold
- Floral-Motif Springerle Cookie Mold
- British Isles Springerle Kit